What is 1000 Books Before Kindergarten?
The concept is simple, but the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, toddler, and/or preschooler. It's that simple! The goal is to read 1,000 books before your child starts kindergarten (and yes, you can repeat books!). Does it sound hard? If you read just one book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year; that is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around five years of age, you have more time than you think! The key is perseverance. We want to get the kids excited about reading. For each milestone your child reaches, they will receive a small reward!
How to Get Started:
Register your reader at the children’s desk located on Level A of our library. Pick up your log and take a look through our recommended reading lists. (You can find them here also!)
Start logging your books either on the paper log or on the app (search “1000 Books before Kindergarten” on your smart phone.
Bring your log to us at each milestone (50 books, 100 books, 200 books, etc.) to receive a small reward!
Any child who reaches 1000 books will have his or her picture taken and posted on the BCCLS website (with parental permission, of course!) The child will also be invited to a BCCLS-wide party in their honor.
Frequently Asked Questions
· Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate.
· How long will the program take? The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together. Your child has until they start Kindergarten
to read 1000 books.
· How many of my children can participate? All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
· Do we have to read books from the library? No, you can read books from anywhere. Just remember to log them!
· Can I count a book more than once? You can! Record the book as many times as you read it!
· Does the program cost anything? Nope, it's completely free!
More questions, comments or concerns? Stop in or call us at 201-796-3400 ext 6 to find out your answers and to sign up!